Friday, August 8, 2008

WSPN Beijing 2008: The Opening of the Games

As NBC's official primetime broadcast of the Opening Ceremonies looms closer and closer, I find myself browsing NBColympics.com and sampling the online broadcasts of many of the sports. And even though the ceremonies begin in 3 minutes (yes, I know they already took place in Beijing a while ago) while I'm writing this sentence, my television remains off. Point is, NBC's online Olympic headquarters is absolutely AMAZING! It grants online, high-quality live streaming videos of events, and even though there are no play-by-play announcers, the audio is impeccable and makes the viewer feel like he is courtside.

After discovering this treasure trove of sport, which by the way, has live streaming events virtually 24/7 for the length of the Olympics, I find myself questioning the very nature of sleep. Do I need it? Can I survive if I refrain from it for a couple weeks? Because I'm seriously tempted to.

In less than 30 minutes, I have witnessed a few badminton matches, some sparring in women's individual fencing (sabre), and females that look half as big as me lifting five times as much weight I can. On any other day in my life, witnessing any of these would have been impossible. But now, thanks to the splendor that is the Olympic Games and NBC's impeccable dedication to the coverage of athletics, I now get to choose which live world-class competition I would like to watch. Just now, Katerina Emmons of the Czech Republic has won the first official gold medal of the Olympics in women's shooting (air rifle)!

And now witnessing the beginning of the Opening Ceremonies (while watching badminton and writing this...my multi-tasking skills will be challenged to the utmost, but I couldn't be more ready and excited), I feel an inate sense of pride: both national, in my dedication and loyal support to Team U.S.A., and global, in feeling together with many other millions on this planet, all joined by a transcendant athletic and human identity.

No comments: