Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Olympic Musings/WSPN Report

Looking back on my experience of watching sports throughout the past 17 years of my life (shut up, I do too remember watching Super Bowl XXV in 1991 even though I was only slightly older than one month old at the time), I fondly recall witnessing numerous incredible matches, record-setting games, epic championships and other unforgettable events. One specific athletic happening always stands out in my mind though: a gathering which truly brings the world together in the glorious name of sport. Yes, you guessed it, it's the Olympics. And out of this amazing festival, the one fantastic opening night and all its immense celebrations centered around perhaps the most heralded emblem in the sporting world, the sacred and majestic Olympic flame. So, in anxious anticipation of another reincarnation of my favorite happening in the world of sport, I accessed the NBC Olympics official website earlier today. That is, only to find, leaving me in complete shock and disbelief, that some official Olympic soccer matches had already taken place!!! Strike me dead now, my childish ignorance which brought me so much happiness has been destructed. What, oh what, is the point of a grand Opening Ceremony culminating in the lighting of the huge flame to "declare the games open" if they are already open?

Okay, so I'm slightly disillusioned, yet I'm still absolutely psyched for the Olympics. Which is why, on behalf of WSPN, I will be providing periodic live game "viewlogs", tracking my reactions throughout the duration of various events. Obviously I won't be able to do this for every sport, but I'll do what I can to focus on some of the lesser known events (see rhythmic gymnasts, told you I got your back). Also, if I can, I might provide more spotlights on said events, such as the feature I have already done for the great sport of handball. With that, I now declare the games open!!! Yes, I can say that, because the IOC doesn't really mean it when they say it at the official ceremony. It's still epic, though, when they do.

No comments: